Management gurus say it, we running companies know it better… The key to our success is to come up with an idea, create winning strategy, build a winning team that can execute your strategy to success and let them execute it!
Great but HOW???!!!!
Let us break the problem down.
- Ideas are cheap. We (CxOs) who have been around the block have more ideas than most people around us. In fact, most of us can come up with a good strategy as well.
- But what about execution? Even that is possible, IF we have a winning team.
- Ideally, a winning team can operate the company to our mission and vision statement down to the last employee even when we are not around.
Something like this. This is a true story:
A young person walked in for an interview at a progressive company. The hiring manager said, “Please talk to the next five employees that come walk past this chair and ask them about the company and write about what you think this company based on that discussion. It does not have to be to good or bad, it just has to be real and touch the very essence of what we stand for as an organization. That is your interview.“
The interview candidate wrote an entire essay but the last lines she wrote were. “…they all talked about their company value statement as if it were their own. ‘Do one thing and do it better than anybody else in the world’. They have a mindset of aligning their life passion with purpose and persistence so much so that the lines between ‘working’ and ‘playing’ is dissolved to become one ever flowing part of their lives.“
Wow! How do we get our teams to think this way? Here are three simple steps to get your teams to be winning teams.
- Consistency of purpose: Make sure that you have only one strategy. Talk about it, dream about it, feel it, explain it to people every moment you talk, breathe, work, or play. Then walk the talk. If you do it, they will believe you. This requires a lot of patience and trust in the people and teams.
- Make work a game: The CEO of this company was at a trade show. With 10 minutes to go to the end of the show he called all the sales people and told them. “The person that gets a new prospect in the next 10 minutes will get $500!” These were all senior people in team. They all sprinted out and managed to get three solid prospects within 10 minutes!!! How did this happen? Because the CEO made sales a short term game!!! When work becomes a play, everybody wins!
- A system to make work play and ensure consistency of purpose: To ensure that the first two steps are executed in a repeatable, scalable manner you need to have a ‘CEO desktop’, an Enterprise Social Networking Platform for your organization. This is critical to scale your organization.
Follow these steps and you can tell the management gurus how you have achieved what they preach. Maybe, just for once, teach them HOW they can achieve what they preach by following your winning method :)!
It is a different matter that the company in the first story is Vantage Agora and the CEO in the second story is Sudhir Achar (CEO of Vantage Agora). We are helping our customers ‘Execute Strategies To Success’ with Club VA and our back office services. We are sure we can help you too!
About Vantage Agora:
Vantage Agora (VA) is a global provider of social enterprise networks software products for operational excellence and back-office solutions for operations excellence along with consulting services for companies in the insurance, finance, and healthcare sectors. As a SSAE 16 Type II audited company, Vantage Agora utilizes advanced data processing and quality control systems on a secured network to ensure efficient, comprehensive management of back-office functions such as insurance, financial, and administrative tasks. Founded in 2004, Vantage Agora has offices in Cleveland and Dallas.