“I really tried to implement my winning team strategy but I need a little bit more help” announced Paul (The CEO of a fast growing services company with over 10,000 people — From my previous article 3 steps to creating winning teams!) even as he walked up to the table where I was sitting.
“What do you mean? Why don’t you sit down and explain it to me”, I slowed him down.
“Well, I tried what you prescribed. Meaning, I have taken care of measuring ‘consistency of purpose‘ and ‘tracking everyone on a Key Result Area (KRA)‘. Things have improved but I still have problems in the sense that there are too many things that my team members do, that can’t really be measured.” said Paul.
“Give me a few examples”, I requested.
“As you already know we are using the Club VA. We are seeing a marked improvement in several areas like visibility into my organization and control over KRAs. But how do I deal with things like ‘Corporate Social Responsibilities‘ (Encouraging women employment), taking up leadership position in crisis, etc. that I really can’t teach someone. It has to come from within!!! Right?” concluded Paul.
“Paul, I am glad things have helped since you implemented Club VA in terms of customer centricity and bringing operational efficiency. Now we have to move from operational efficiency to excellence. Here is how you can do it.
- Ensure that your Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and Balance Scorecard (BSc) is merged into ‘Key Performance Indicator (KPI)’
- Measure every person in the organization on a sub-measure of one of the factors in the KPI.
- Then set up small challenges in the Club VA as events that line up to the overall goal of the organization
- For all activities that have soft goals, come up with SLAs and a process. You can implement and track any of these processes on Club VA.
- Consistency of purpose: Finally, give your team members a sense of purpose and balance to their lives. This might mean that you have to state the obvious at times and tell them the reason why your company is going to be successful. Or, repeat the organization mission statement every time you talk, until eventually your people and your teams start to believe and become what you care for the most.”
Epilogue: Paul has since built successfully upon these 5 tracks using Club VA. His organization has met all his AOP goals and is marching towards successfully achieving their mission statement.
If you are interested in ensuring that your company not only survives the ‘Connected World‘ and in fact leverages from it, please do make the call and contact anyone of us at Vantage Agora. Club VA can help!
About Vantage Agora:
Vantage Agora (VA) is a global provider of social enterprise networks software products for operational excellence and back-office solutions for operations excellence along with consulting services for companies in the insurance, finance, and healthcare sectors. As a SSAE 16 Type II audited company, Vantage Agora utilizes advanced data processing and quality control systems on a secured network to ensure efficient, comprehensive management of back-office functions such as insurance, financial, and administrative tasks. Founded in 2004, Vantage Agora has offices in Cleveland and Dallas.